Friday, January 28, 2005

To vote or not to vote

Oh Raed, you break my heart. Everything you say is true, in your detailed analysis of recent US/Iraq history - or I should say, I believe it to be true, in substance, if not in every tiny detail. If you vote, you feel you would be validating each act of terror perpetrated by the invading forces, and Bush Administration. I can hear this, and feel this. But - and a big 'but,' are you not also validating each and every act of Iraqi on Iraqi terror of the so called insurgents? Massive casualties inflicted upon innocent Iraqis - women and children - in the name of an insurgency that DOES NOT WANT YOU TO VOTE. And why is that? No matter how corrupt the current US backed leaders, no matter how farcical the thought of Alawi or his minions in power - the beginning of Iraqi freedom has to start SOMEWHERE. So you vote now, and end up with puppets. So vote them out later. If nothing else, the puppets will most likely improve security for the ordinary citizens, making a later vote more legitimate. And the vote after that, a bit more legitimate. It is a process, may take a long time, but IT HAS TO START SOMEWHERE. If you have no input to where it starts, how are you going to change it later?
I started out with this 'blog registration' process, because I did not want to post anonymously.
I am watching CNN tell many small stories about Iraqis - all of them love us. What a surprise. - but - again - are so many of Iraqi men working as police, national guard, etc., are they all traitors? Maybe there is more than one way to do this thing? It seems to me that so many of them putting their lives in so much danger, they must be considered as patriots? I can't believe that all of the many thousand Iraqis working in security forces can be against their country. Maybe this is just their way of trying to build a new Iraq. How can I suspect each and every one of them of being "tools of the infidels?" If one 'faction' ( I really hesitate to blame all political divisions merely on sectarianism) feels they are being marginalized, squeezed out of the political process, would they not want to vote in greater numbers to see that this cannot happen? Boycotting a vote has always perplexed me. If there is any chance of an open election process, doesn't every single citizen have the obligation to vote?

Oh my God. What colossal hubris: CNN question of the day: is Iraq worth American sacrifice? WHO asked us? Oh my God.

No comments: